Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶) wrongful death

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 4.7/10 (3 votes cast)

Chiang’s story is such a sad story.  On Sept. 18, 1996, a colleague of Chiang alleged that Chiang might have been involved in the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl surnamed Hsieh (謝), whose body had been found on an air base six days earlier. Judicial authorities said former air force commander-in-chief Huang Hsien-jung ordered the air force’s counterintelligence unit to provide assistance in the investigation.

The next day, Chiang was sent to the Taipei Police Department, where he was questioned by police and military police. As investigators did not make any progress after investigating the murder for three weeks, on Oct. 2 Chen ordered the counterintelligence unit to take over the case. The unit immediately subjected Chiang to 37 hours of interrogation and torture. He cried out that he was not innocent and that he would remember every person’s name who tortured him and who falsely accused him of rapping the litter girl.  He wrote letters to his family with names of everyone who had betrayed him and tortured him.  Two days later after being tortured, Chiang confessed to the crime and the air force closed the investigation. Chiang was executed on Aug. 13, 1997 by lethal injection to put him to sleep then he was shot in the head.

In May last year, the Control Yuan censured a military court over the case, citing seven major flaws in the trial.  The next month, -Prosecutor-General Huang Shyh-ming (黃世銘) announced the creation of a task force to reopen the investigation.  Investigators said they reviewed material evidence in the case, including fingerprints, a bloody palm print and DNA from a pubic hair sample found on the girl’s right thigh.  They compared that evidence with the prints and DNA of service members in the air force at the time.

Investigators said they had found DNA and palm prints belonging to Hsu Jung-chou (許榮洲) at the scene of the crime.  Taipei prosecutors on Friday arrested Hsu and the Taipei District Court approved a request by prosecutors for his detention. Hsu has since confessed to the crime.

The President of Taiwan Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday visited the family of Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶), who was wrongfully executed by the military 14 years ago for the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl, and promised to clear Chiang’s name in a speedy manner. Ma apologized to Chiang and his family on Monday through Presidential Office spokesman Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強), as well as a posting on his Facebook page.  After visiting the family, Ma told reporters that Chiang’s mother and uncle said they cared more about clearing his name than receiving compensation.  Unfortunately Chiang’s father passed away a few years ago never knowing that his son has finally been cleared.  Also it turns out that the so called “evidence” against Chiang was tissue in the bathroom that had his DNA.  They alleged it was his sperm but now the truth is out and it was not his sperm but rather snot from his nose.

Video of the President visiting the family (in Chinese)

Video describing the torture and the letters he wrote during his time in jail (in Chinese)

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 4.7/10 (3 votes cast)
Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶) wrongful death, 4.7 out of 10 based on 3 ratings

About CD